The story goes back to 1625 and probably beyond. Ancestors of the Cattier family were already working the vineyards at that time in the Chigny-les-Roses area, in the heart of the Montagne de Reims.
It continued in 1916 when Jean Cattier senior, wounded in the war, returned to Chigny-les-Roses. The city of Reims, under siege by the German army, was crushed by shells and 60% of it was destroyed. The champagne merchants tried to maintain a difficult activity in appalling conditions and reduced their supplies from the vineyards. In order not to lose his meagre 1916 harvest, Jean Cattier vinified his first grapes himself and produced his own champagne, the first bottles of which were released in 1918, at the end of the war. This was the birth of Cattier champagne.
In 1936, his son Jean Cattier married Nelly Adam. They had three children, Jean-Louis, Liliane and Jean-Jacques. They developed the business and passed on their passion and a fine company to their children.
Jean-Louis took charge of the vineyard in the early 1960s and Jean-Jacques, an oenologist, took charge of the vinification in 1971, and later on took over the administrative and commercial management. In 1950, Jean Cattier acquired the Clos du Moulin, one of the first two historic clos in the Champagne region. He made his first harvest there in 1951, a separate vinification and produced a cuvée of the same name, the first bottles of which were marketed from 1956. He was a precursor in Champagne with this parcel-based cuvée.
In 2011, Alexandre Cattier, representing the thirteenth generation of vineyard operators and the fourth generation of champagne producers, took over the reins of the company, assisted by his cousins Agathe, deputy general manager, and Marie, brand ambassador.
Under the benevolent eye of Jean-Jacques Cattier, the House of Cattier was built thanks to the work, courage and audacity of the men and women in the family. All of them, driven by a passion for wine and the land, have contributed their share to make the House of Cattier an enduring house whose only requirement is the transmission of this heritage of excellence.